Sunday, January 21, 2007

Come to New Orleans

Let's all drink a toast to the New Orleans Saints, who have done a fine job of reminding the country that we're still here and we're coming back. Even though our Cinderella season is over, the season of celebrating in New Orleans is just getting underway. If you want to do something to support one of America's great cities, you should come on down. Come to Mardi Gras. Come to Jazz Fest. If you want to look like a cool insider, come to French Quarter Fest, which is less crowded than Jazz Fest, and it's Free!

If you can't afford a hotel, you can pitch a tent in my yard. You could volunteer with a clean-up team somewhere if you're so inclined, but you can also help out just by eating in some fabulous French Quarter restaurants. You can join the paparazzi stalking Brangelina outside their Quarter mansion. You can hear legendary jazz musicians, check out our world-class zoo and aquarium, or if you're a history buff, visit the National World War II museum.

You'll have a great time, and you can do your good dead for the year just by taking a vacation, and then telling your friends back home to do the same.

5 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh... I just spent a week there, visiting good friends the week before Christmas. I've only been twice, once the Jazz Fest just before Katrina, and now this time, but I love it. I love the people, the food, the people, the architecture, the people, the intense sense of community that I've never seen anywhere else, and the people (not the tourists!). I feel blessed to have an "insider" to guide me through the city - ironically they were just on us about coming down for French Quarter Fest. That or Mardis Gras but one of the true neighborhood/non-tourist parades, not the main tourist-overrun event.

My friends live in spitting distance from the racetrack/jazzfest site. Here are some pics I took of the neighborhood's architecture while I was down there. I plan on getting a good quality print of their across the street neighbor's house, who painted the heart on top of the rescuers "X".

Oh, and tonight I made my first attempt at New Orleans BBQ shrimp. It wasn't what I loved so much at the neighborhood restaurant where I had it twice in three days (Luizzas? not sure of the name), but I think it tasted quite good for my first attempt.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Nola said...

Liuzza's has reopened?!! By God, I didn't even know. That place is in and of itself worth the trip. Huge frozen schooners of beer and the best catfish po-boy in town - I've got to get over there for lunch.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized that I forgot to post the link to the pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86715305@N00/sets/72157594425942654/show/

Yes, Liuzzas has reopened, and it's easy walking distance from my friends' house. I went there twice in three days for the same thing both times -- bbq shrimp po'boy and a cup of gumbo. WAY too much food for one meal but both times my plans to "eat half take half home" were overruled by my taste buds. You just can't get food like that in Delaware.

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be going to NO in March!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger mira said...

I walked around NO for 4 hours in July this summer on my birthday; there were so many mixed emotions since the last time I'd been over was before K visited. The trip accomplished its' purpose though, I had my baby (back on the MS coast) the next day :)

I know what you're going through with all the post K hassle. YAY for having the house finally up!

(waasup.blogspot.com...no houseblog until we move back home)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home