Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Watching and Waiting

We're settled in with our friends in Baton Rouge watching the news coverage about Hurricane Katrina. We are happy to be safe and comfortable, but can't quite put away the nasty idea that tonight we might lose both houses and everything we own.

I'll just check in here when I know more about what happens next. Mr. Nola and I are weighing our options for each possible outcome. If we find ourselves homeless, I'll probably take the baby out to stay with my parents in California. Mr. Nola's employer will probably have some emergency housing for staff necessary to get the place back up and running. If Chateau Danneel is badly damaged and our tenants can't return, we'll lose about half our monthly income. That will have an adverse affect on our ability to pay the assorted mortgages.

Mr. Nola says: "I've never been homeless before! This should be interesting."

I was telling him about people on the news who were planning to stay on their boats in the fishing community of Houma. His response - "They're gonna die." It's not joke. I can sympathize with those people because their boats are certainly their most valuable assets and probably their livelihood. On the other hand, they are seriously risking their lives, and in some cases their childrens' lives.

It is likely that a lot of people will lose their lives tonight, because they either couldn't or wouldn't evacuate.

God help us all.

11 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you all are facing this storm, and the possible terrible outcomes. You and all the others in the path of this storm are in our prayers. Kisses to baby Stella.

LolaB

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Best of luck, you're all in our thoughts. Looks like things are slowing down a bit, some good news;)

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger AngelSil said...

Our prayers to you. This one is a serious storm and wise people got out of town. Hopefully it will continue to veer East (though that's not good for those of us in Florida).

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. I can't imagine how this is affecting you guys.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you all are safely in Baton Rouge, away from the worst of it. Still saying prayers for your house.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Alison said...

Glad to read that you guys are safe!

Aspidistra

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nolas!

I am so glad you are somewhere safe. I have my whole family and friends praying that you and your homes. Unfortunately that's all the help we can offer being so far away. Be in touch when you can, let me know if you need anything and I will have it shipped.

Love,
Ms Ford

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you have left the area! I know you are worried about your homes, but just remember ... as long as your family is safe, the rest will work itself out.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Steph said...

My thoughts are prayers are with you guys! I hope your homes are okay! Most importantly, you guys are safe! (((HUGS)))

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you and hope the storm has passed!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Ingenue said...

Here in the Caribbean we know what you are going thru. I hope your family and your house make it thru this OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home