Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Post-Katrina Update

We evacuated New Orleans on Saturday to stay with our friends in Baton Rouge. We brought both cars, the pets, some essentials for the baby and a change of clothes for each of us. We didn't expect the storm to be as bad as it was so we didn't really bring much with us, but that is probably just as well as the important thing was to get out of the city quickly.

Baton Rouge got some wind and rain, but nothing like the storm you saw on the news. We lost power there Monday morning when the storm hit, and it hadn't come back on by Tuesday afternoon so we decided to move on to Houston. The lack of air conditioning (and TV) was getting to us. We're now staying with our friend David, in his dee-luxe apartment in the sky in downtown Houston. We're having a nice time here, it's sort of like an unexpected vacation. Houston's zoo and museums have offered free admission to New Orleans refugees so we can have fun playing tourist. Most importantly, it's cool inside.

We plan to stay here for a week or so until we have an idea of how long it will be before we can return to New Orleans. We will not go back until there is power and the public health concerns (snakes, chemicals, etc. in standing water) have been resolved. They might allow residents to go in sometime next week to survey the damage and grab whatever belongings we can. If it looks like we'll be several weeks to months before we can go back safely I will take the baby out to California and John will take the pets to Buffalo. We expect that John will be wanted back at work as soon as possible so he can help get the university's computer systems back online. That would be a good thing, since working equals income. If the university is able to get power, John could sleep in his office.

As of last week, we were living in an apartment in River Ridge, a suburb, while our house uptown was being renovated. We have stuff in storage in the basement of our old house, in a bedroom of the new house, in a storage lot on the west bank, and at the apartment. There's really no telling what might have survived. Uptown apparently had less flood damage than other parts of the city, so it's possible that both the old and the new house are more or less fine. We have no way of knowing what wind damage, trees falling, roof failure, etc. might have occurred. The house on Jefferson already had a hole in the roof and in one wall due to the renovations, so it was vulnerable. We just don't know how the houses survived and if any of our stuff in storage will be salvageable. Looting is evidently also a big problem so what the storm didn't wreck, the scavengers might have.

Our old house, the duplex, is rented to students. I think they'll continue paying rent for a while anyway. We haven't been able to find out if August payroll went through or not. I have no idea if he'll continue to get paid while the university is closed. Since I'm a consultant, there's no chance I'll get paid for any down time. At the moment, we're okay; we have some money in the bank and credit cards. The bigger concern is once we get back and need to start repairing any damage. The way hurricane insurance works, the deductible is a percentage of the home's value. For us, damages will have to be over $25,000 before we can even start to collect insurance. After that our premiums, which are already high, will probably go up a LOT.

I'm sure there will be some FEMA aid and low interest loans to help bridge the gap. Property values will most likely drop after this so if we decide we're through with New Orleans, it will still be a couple of years before we're able to sell without taking a loss. I am hopeful that this catastrophe will help to rebuild the New Orleans infrastructure which has been in terrible shape for years. Maybe we can come out of this stronger and better. It will take a while to get there though.

Watching the news reports is just surreal. I can't get over the idea that they mean us when they talk about REFUGEES and HOMELESS! I'm going with the assumption that it's really not that dire, we're just on vacation and we'll need to replace some broken windows when we get back, and I might get to buy some new furniture. When we finally get to move into Jefferson, I'm having the mother of all housewarming parties, and I'll register at Target for all the crap we need to replace.

Keep on praying for New Orleans. If you've never been there, it's a beautiful city full of gorgeous old homes and stunning centuries old oaks. I can't think of the United States without a New Orleans. Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Fortunately we're a lot better off than many people in the city.

38 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Glad you made it out. I grew up outside of Houston, near Friendswood, and my sister lives in New Orleans and didn't make it out. My Mom talked to her Monday and she was fine at that point. We haven't been able to get in touch with her since.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

checked out your blog and i must say...I liked it...lol.. care to do me the favour and check out mine about dui defense attorney .. lemme know if u lkike it

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck. thoughts from up north are with you.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiddler, guitarist to enter Bluegrass Hall of Fame
Real-time, high-speed Internet access for world travelers in flight. World Travel and Medical Plans World travel and annual medical insurance plans from independent advisors Medibroker International.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a make money on the internet site. It pretty much covers make money on the internet related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog. It's nice.

If you are interested in your drinking water quality, check out my site on drinking water filtration systems. You'll find lots of information on drinking water filtration systems and related issues.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Jocelyn said...

This spam is especially offensive given the content of your post. I was just watching Dateline and thought of you guys. I went right to the computer and read your update. I am glad you are safe.

I am so amazed at your strength and others I see on TV etc... I pray the city will recover and be stronger like you said- that's a great attitude.

As an old house lover and lover of historic places, it breaks my heart to think of the devastation there. I have never been to New orleans, but have wanted to go and see the architecture etc..

You are all in our thoughts and prayers here in Chicago!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Joe said...

We're all so happy you're safe and have good friends and family to support you. You have with you what's most important, though I can't even imagine the feelings of uncertainty. It will be okay. Keep all of us posted.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeeze, you even get spam on a blog. I never knew that. In any case, I wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you, and praying for you, and that if there is anything we at TT can do for you, please let us know. I was in New Orleans once when I was 12, and I've never forgotten what a beautiful city it is, and I'm so sad to see the images on the news.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger StuccoHouse said...

Keep us posted. May sound strange coming from a stranger, but you give us northerners a face (well, a blog) to put with the Katrina story. Prayers are being sent your way :-)

Those spammers - scum of the earth.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you too, and agree with StuccoHouse that having someone we kinda know (through your blog) makes the disaster seem much more personal. We hope you can keep your spirits up and also hope that you find your life somewhat in tact when you can finally go back to it.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger SmilingJudy said...

Ditto what the other housebloggers have said. I was wondering about you, so I'm glad you posted.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger AngelSil said...

Offering up our concern and offer of any help we can provide. I've been to New Orleans so many times and it's scary to hear what's going on up there. We've heard from everyone we know now, but I fear others may not be so lucky.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, it's Thryn-call me if I can do anything, ok? if you get tired of Houston and want to come up this way for a few days, we'd be glad to put you up. Lots of love and prayers from me, DH, and Ariel.

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I remembered your blog. Just last month we met a woman from New Orleans. She and her partner and friends and family are in Baton Rouge. And, oddly enough, just read a post by a man who has a sister who teaches at Tulane. Thinking of you and yours. Please let us know what you might need in the days and weeks to come. The Favors email list is dormant but not dead.


I was in New Orleans when I was a teenager. My mom went to a French Teachers conference and my dad and I bummed around. I had always hoped to return. I hope that you and others can somehow find a way to rebuild.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nola,

Another TTer here, wanting to let you know that I've been worried about you and your little girl, and am so happy to hear that you've been out of harm's way.

Please know that there are lots of us on TT who are willing to help out any way we can. Check in with us and let us know how we can reach you.

Sincerely,
Angie
aka, AK

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Nystral Djo said...

What's with the spam complaining about SPAM?!

Anyway, I've never posted a comment on your blog before, but I wanted to let you know that my husband and I have been watching the hurricane news around the clock here in Jersey and are so glad to hear that you guys are OK. You're the only ones we personally know of in New Orleans, though my husband's company has some clients there.

Last night, the sky was full of ominous clouds rolling through in what was left of Katrina, and it made me heartsick for all of you in the hurricane's path dealing with more than black clouds...

Let us know if - after inspection - you do decide to register somewhere or set up a fund. I'm sure many other bloggers feel unable to directly help those affected and would love to contribute.

Our prayers are with you and your friends and relatives back home...

Leah

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger K said...

I've been wondering about you guys. Thank goodness you're safe. I hope your house is fine, too. We still don't know about my parents' house in Biloxi, but we hope to get down there in the next few days to find out.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got out alive. I know well that feeling of simultaneously reminding yourself that "it's just a house" and yet having that ache of possible loss. Best of luck.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, I'm coming out of hiding here to say thank God you guys are OK and I'm holding you all in my thoughts. I haven't been on TT in a while but I check in on your blog from time to time and have been keeping an eye on you since I first heard the hurricane was headed your way.

I can't imagine your worries right now, but if there's anything that can be done to help y'all out long distance, now or later, we're here.

Take care, and kisses to Stella.

Buttercup

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nola, it is Erica from TT. Please know that I am thinking about you and DH and Susan, and I am so glad to hear you are safe. If there is anything that I can do for you, let me know.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/interactive/fullpage.nola.flood/katrina.html

Thought this might be of use to you.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you guys are safe. Nola, as you know I'm in the Houston area. If there's anything at all we can do to help y'all, please drop me a line - alibou@hotmail.com.

We're thinking of you,
Alissa

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, thinking of you and your baby girl and your DH. So glad to see that you're out safely! Wishing you all the best and rejuvenation to your beloved city.

-Tig from TT

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another well-wisher from TT who is glad to hear you are safe. I hope you can get home soon and that all is not as bad as feared.

Lauren

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I lurk on TT, so I feel I know you a little. I'm glad to hear you're all safe. I hope you can go home and find your house(s) still there. A dear friend of mine is from NO, and his family is now scattered across the South, and I'm sure his family home is gone.

I live in SF, another place dancing on the brink.

You're in my thoughts.

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. Best wishes for the best possible outcome with your property. Our prayers are with everyone in the gulf area that was hit.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do post your wishlist when you get home. This weekend my GF and are writing checks and going through our stuff to donate whatever we can. Still it will be nice to be able to do something in a more personal way.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! We're so glad you were able to get out safely and leave a post for us on your current situation. We have been most concerned for your safety and that of all others affected by this disaster. The news on TV has been horrific and it is difficult to watch. Please know that we are here for you and wish we were there to help you through this. Please let us know if we can help in any way.
With love,
Christine, John & Dee Dee and the whole darn Ford family xoxoxo P.S. We're at the cottage right now thinking of you. John says - Nurture and cultivate your most valuable asset a positive attitude with a optimistic outlook.
Dee Dee says those bastards that shot at the rescue helicopters are gonna get theirs one day!
Christine says - hang in there. The universe will take care of you!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nola -- I'm so glad you all got out safely! I'll be keeping you and Mr. Nola and Baby S in my thoughts.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another TT'er chiming in here. Nola, I'm so glad you and your family are safe and sound. You're in my thoughts often, as is your entire city. I hope the damage to your house is minimal, and I wish you all the strength in the world as you work through this. Hugs and kisses to Stella...

Stacey P

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, your blog has been so amusing and hopeful and a great read. Even better because I 'know' you from TT. We are all hoping for the absolute best for you and yours, holding thumbs, Zelda.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nola,
One more TT'er checking on you, and glad to hear that you and your family are safe. Will be thinking about you and waiting to help in any way I can once you get to survey your damage and determine what you need! Best wishes from DH, Miles and I.
Zinny M

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Lynette said...

So glad you're safe, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. We visited New Orleans a year ago for the first time and loved it, it's a truly unique city with a special spirit. It's unbelievable that this has happened. Let us know if we can do anything to help.

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola,

I am so glad that you and your family are safe. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, I'm Em T. from TPW writing. I live in Houston & would love to help you if I can while you're here. You can reach me via my profile e-mail address on TPW.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you made it out safely and are coping well. You have certainly been in my thoughts.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to learn that you and your family are safe. You have been much on my mind this week.

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let us know if there is anything you need, nola. Holding you all tightly in our prayers.

Kisses to baby Stella.
LolaB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home