Thursday, September 08, 2005

Clearly, I have a problem

Hi, my name is Nola, and I am a renovation addict.

We've been encamped in Houston for one week now, and can't stop
ourselves from fixing another kitchen. Our host does not cook much,
but he does entertain. Seriously, there was nothing in his freezer
but martini glasses when we got here. His 80's modern kitchen is
perfect, except the aging euro-style hinges
have come undone and in a few places worn or broken through the front
of the cabinet doors. It's merely cosmetic, but well, Mr. Nola and I
have nothing to do but look at each other, so we're planning to
replace the hinges and where necessary, the doors. Wheee! A project!

Hopefully this will help repay the debt we owe to David for taking us
in. Another, not entirely selfless upgrade we're doing
is buying a small wine chiller from the Home Despot to hold the wine
we brought with us, which we'll leave with David. (How New Orleans
are we? We left our clothes behind but brought the booze.) For
someone who entertains, a wine chiller really is a necessity, after all.

Also good news - Mr. Nola was able to get to the apartment in River
Ridge and salvage our family photos and other items we wished we had
with us. In fact, the apartment complex actually had power and water
on! I'm not going back until I know there won't be a cholera
epidemic, but it's good to know there is someplace for us to stay if
and when he has to return to working on campus. The house, we don't
know exactly, but we're pretty sure TOH has a moderate amount of
water in it. Maybe enough to fill the basement and get into the main
floor. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before we're able
to move into it.

4 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Jocelyn said...

I am glad you got your family photos- that is exactly what I would want too. I know this stuff is addicting- I suffer the same affliction-sigh!

This winter we offered to tile my Mom's backsplash for her.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the family photos, how wonderful!

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nola, I haven't been around TT much lately, and have been worrying in the back of my mind about you and S and your DH. So what do I see tonight in my bookmarks but this blog, where I can see that you guys are safe, anyway, and have your pictures.

I swear that of all the stuff I have, the pictures are the only things I really care about. All the rest is the people, isn't it?

You and your family, and all the rest of the people from your poor city are in my thoughts, many times a day.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger ken said...

i suffer the same affliction, but i cant seem to get into a renovation. instead i seem to get sucked into full blown, ground up construction! yikes.
anyway. great site. good luck with the water down there in LA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home